Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Flight to Santiago


I have always wanted to fly somewhere without a return ticket.  To have the thrill of taking off, not knowing when or if you would return.  For our flight out of KCI we had return tickets, but they were fake.  They said we were returning home on October 1st, connecting through Toronto.  The fake tickets were from a booking agency called Student Travel Authority.  They sell flights for students and people under the age of 26.  We had combed through a bunch of booking sites trying to find the cheapest tickets.  Ticket prices varied widely, from around $500 to several thousand, all one way.  While combing through these sites we discovered that whenever you looked at flights from STA they would send you a quote for the trip.  The quote was formatted like an itinerary with flight numbers and departure times.  The status next to flights on the quote said “confirmed”.  Who knows why.  We were lucky to stumble on this early in our trip process.  When you enter Chile you have to prove that you are leaving the country within 90 days unless you have a work visa (which we don’t).  We printed off the STA quote for this and practiced together, you know if anyone asks, “October 1st, Toronto”.  The morning of the flight I was so nervous, leaving home for a year and all the emotion of good byes and the anxiety of the trip.  We couldn’t figure out how to use the self-check in kiosk so this worker came over and was helping us get our passports scanned on the machine and get checked in.  It was taking a while and he was guiding us through the screens, just like notifications and boiler plate and such, and he said while looking at the screen, “Santiago huh?  How long you going for?”  I thought he was just being chatty, (I am a chatter, I love to chat), I eagerly responded “one year!”.  He glanced up from the screen at my face and said, “so you have your return tickets booked?”.  “No,” I said realizing immediately what I just did.  He stepped away from the kiosk and went back behind his monitoring saying, “let me look at Chile’s visa requirements”.  “We are returning to America on October 1st, and then we are going back for another 9 months,” I said.  “Oh, OK,”  he said, business as usual.  He moved back to the kiosk and continued quickly clicking through the screens, explaining what everything meant as he went along.  I held my breath and thought about the fake tickets in my bag.   I wondered if he would ask to see them.  He paused briefly on a screen explaining visa requirements for Chile.  “Oh, OK, here we go” he said.  He scrolled down through the text, squinting to read the tiny print.  I tried to control my breathing.  I was once told that you’re only lying if you don’t believe in what you are saying.  He scrolled more.  The screen had in bold the words “proof of onward passage”.  The worker said to himself and “OK you’re good on that” and briskly punched the continue button.  Sweet.  I smiled to my self.  And laughed in my head thinking “I’m such an idiot!”.  Nearly blew that one there.  But the fake tickets would have held up right?  We said goodbye to my parents, who I love very much.  The good bye was tear-filled.  When I hugged my mom her shoulder pressed against the lump in my throat.  They were so sweet about it.  They said have fun, and this would be an adventure for us.  We all started parting but looked back and waved with tears in our eyes.  I wouldn’t see them for a year, at least.  I had spent the majority of my  life, the last 13 years, living in Northeast Kansas.  I had moved from the small town where I went to went to high school to the town of Lawrence, where I went to college, just an hour away.  And now it was time for my wife and I to fly to South America to start our new jobs teaching English to Chileans.

Our journey started at 4:30 on a mid-July morning in Kansas City.  A little over 25 hours later we would arrive in Santiago.  We had an 8AM flight out of KCI (had to arrive extra early for international check in) and then a 6 hour layover, and then a 5 hour flight to Bogota Colombia, and then a 6 hour overnight flight to Santiago.  Our flight to Bogota was by far the most spectacular views I have ever had from an airplane.  We were lucky enough to have in flight TV on both the flight to Colombia and to Santiago, but I didn’t use it much on the flight to Colombia because the sunset was absolutely gorgeous.  It was totally surreal, and totally peaceful, yet still laced with the anxiety of being 50,000 feet in the air.  I don’t love flying, I love going some place new, but flying has always kind of been scary for me (frankly I’m more of a road trip kind of guy!). I took my first flight at age 22 to go to DC for a wedding and it was an exhilarating but still scary experience. (I flew a couple times under age 3 but don’t remember so it doesn’t count!).  I wish I could have taken a picture of the sunset outside our jet on the way to Bogota, but there isn’t really any good way to do that is there?  I was a really serene hue of pick brushed on airy clouds.  I have never seen the ocean from that high up and the water looked so different from up there, so textured and yet so homogenous.  I felt like I could see ripples of waves but I don’t know, maybe it was just my eyes playing tricks.  After the dramatic sunset we flew right past a storm.  There was a gigantic anvil shaped cloud just to the West of our plane.  I was looking over at it amazed at the shear size of the it when I saw shots of lightning bouncing around inside the cloud, throwing light against the insides of its translucent walls.  I watched raptly as this continued for several minutes, strikes of lightning coming in sparse 30 second or 1 minute intervals.  I felt so lucky to have been able to catch that.  I love observing nature on the ground, mountains, streams, fields, but I have never really thought much about the nature that occurs outside our view, above our sight, above the highest mountains on Earth, up in the land of giants and the heavens.  Then I discovered another interesting part of flying over the ocean at night, which was that you would pass over an island and see networks and concentrations of light, even from 50,000 feet up.  You could track on the in flight GPS shown on the headset TVs and see which islands we were flying over.  We flew over Jamaica and Cuba and got great looks at the night lights, I tried to guess if the cities we were flying over were cities we knew, like maybe Kingston or Montego Bay.  I never thought you would be able to see the lights like that, even from so high up.  It was amazing.  With the sunset and the lights and storm I felt lucky to have had a mid evening flight for our journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment