Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Living the High Life (seriously on the 20th floor)


So this whole Karma thing is pretty hilarious. Seriously, so funny.  I know I should be upset and frustrated but it’s just so comical that I can’t. We have moved into our new Apartment and we LOVE it! We love that we can cook without 14 Brazilians breathing down our backs making fun of us in Portuguese because their dinner is going to be eons better than ours. We LOVE that we don’t have to wear wool socks and sleep in Zero degree sleeping bags every night. We love that we are 20 floors up and not face to face with tear gas and protesters (ask me about that one later). Yes, yes life is good.
We have been dying without internet. Not only because we really wanted to hear familiar voices,  creep on facebook, watch Netflix and waste hours of precious time online, but it has been very hard to lesson plan without it. So I’m getting ready to head out the door to work (2 hours early so I can steal some University wifi) when the front desk calls and tells me that the internet guy is waiting downstairs. I literally start shaking with joy. I go down and after 15 minutes of me shaking my head saying “no hablo Española!” the man follows me up and starts working on the most elaborate internet hook up known to man! He seriously takes 2 hours, so now I am running late to class. He can sense my anxiety and keeps telling me “lo siento”.  Thirty minutes before I have to be in work he gets the internet to work and asks me to use it, I go to my gmail and one of my students had emailed me saying they got a call from the Universidad saying classes were cancelled due to Student Protest(and probably a lot of tear gas).  Phew. I immediately relax and for the next hour I am living in bliss, video chatting Kelli, facebook chatting Nikki, answering week old emails, watching The Office on Netflix, living the good life. Andrew gets home and we cry together sooooo happy. He runs out to the store for a bottle of wine and while he’s gone I decide to make some dinner, I turn on the blender and all the power goes off. Internet and all.  So that Karma thing…its hilarious, right?
I overindulged, I had too much of a good thing. Maybe I should have picked between Kelli and Nikki (getting a little ahead of myself), perhaps I should have picked between my blender and the computer charging. Once again making me rethink my priorities, my love for food and my love for television have always been an amazing pair. I loved nothing more than eating some roasted garlic on an amazing baguette whole watching Tony Soprano shoot someone in the head. Maybe I have to give one up? My life keeps changing here in Chile.
I’m only slightly joking about everything above, my blender is from the U.S.  and is too powerful for this little Chilean outlet.
Internet 

No comments:

Post a Comment